InfiniBand™ addresses the challenges IT infrastructures face as more demands are placed on the interconnect with ever-increasing demands for computing and storage resources. Specifically, InfiniBand has the following advantages:
- Superior performance: InfiniBand is the only shipping solution that supports 40Gb/s host connectivity and 120Gb/s switch to switch links.
- Low-latency: InfiniBand's ultra-low latencies, with measured delays of 1µs end to end, greatly accelerate many data center and high performance computing (HPC) applications.
- High-efficiency: InfiniBand provides direct support of advanced reliable transport protocols such as Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) to enhance the efficiency of customer workload processing.
- Cost effectiveness: InfiniBand Host Channel Adapters (HCAs) and switches are very competitively priced and create a compelling price/performance advantage over alternative technologies.
- Fabric consolidation and low energy usage: InfiniBand can consolidate networking, clustering, and storage data over a single fabric which significantly lowers the overall power, real estate and management overhead required for servers and storage.
- Reliable, stable connections: InfiniBand is perfectly suited to meet the mission-critical needs of today's enterprise by enabling fully redundant and lossless I/O fabrics, with automatic path failover and link layer multi-pathing abilities to meet the highest levels of availability.
- Data integrity: InfiniBand enables the highest levels of data integrity by performing cyclic redundancy checks (CRCs) at each fabric hop and end to end across the fabric to ensure the data is correctly transferred.
- Rich, growing ecosystem: InfiniBand is at the center of an ecosystem that includes open-source software distribution from the OpenFabrics Alliance, innovative and cost-effective cabling, and long-haul solutions that reach outside the data center and across the globe.
- Highly interoperable environment: InfiniBand compliance testing conducted by the IBTA, combined with interoperability testing conducted by the OpenFabrics Alliance, results in a highly interoperable environment, which benefits end users in terms of product choice and vendor independence.